We loved New York, there is so much to do and explore and we certainly got out and saw as much of it as we could! After connecting our puppies from Antigua with their foster carer we grabbed an uber and headed to the American Dream hostel, this was the best options cost wise for a private room downtown and it was actually very impressive, more of a bed and breakfast though we did have bunk beds and Ben quickly claimed the top. The next morning we made our way over to The Redbury, also located in midtown Manhattan and from there we really got to exploring the city. We started with a hop on/hop off tour to quickly oriente ourselves and started ticking off the places on our must see list over the next few days including –
- Times Square
- Empire State Building
- Statue of Liberty
- Central Park
- 9/11 Memorial
- Wall Street including the Charging Bull
- The MET
We rode the Staten Island ferry and visited Chelsea Markets and walked the Chelsea high line, then Ben went to check out Grand Central Terminal while I had a business lunch with some clients who are planning a 6 month sabbatical in 2021. It was great to be able to connect in person while there.
We also had a list of foods we wanted to enjoy while we were there and I did quite a bit of research and can share my list with any foodies visiting in the future but our highlights were definitely:
- Katz’s delicatessen for the mouth watering Pastrami on Rye!
- Junior’s Restaurant & Bakery for New York Cheese Cake, or maybe it’s just called Cheese cake when you are in New York?
- Big Gay Ice Cream Shop for a salty pimp, and while you are there pop into the Crif dogs and through the phone booth into the secret ‘Please don’t tell‘ small bar.
- Red Rooster in Harlem, for chicken waffles and delicious corn bread
- And a special mention for the incredible Irish Coffee at The Dead Rabbit Grocery & Grog (we also loved Pocket Bar and NoMad bar)
We were housesitting a lovely sweet cat called Gigi in Brooklyn for a week and used this as a base to explore around the area, including seeing an Escher exhibit, wandering around DUMBO and taking a visit to Coney Island when the sun came out. We also decided we had to see a show on Broadway, and choose the Book of Mormon which we loved, we’ve been planning to see this show for years now and we really enjoyed it and highly recommend it!
Have you been to New York or is it on your wish list? We’d love to hear from you below 🙂